Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Brighton





My first class was yesterday and with it came the reality that I am here as a student, not just an eager traveller. I am taking a Children's Literature course this session and I am already reading our third text, Peter Pan. When it's all said and done I will have read 11 books, given a presentation, and written two essays. All in 4 weeks.

Luckily, we only have classes Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, leaving Tuesdays and weekends open for travels and homework.

Today my friends Korina, Danielle, and I took a bus down to Brighton's city center to explore.

Yay for my first ride on a double decker! Of course we sat on the top floor. :)

The town has a population of a little more than 155,000 but boasts a vibrant beach, quaint residential areas, and a plethora of shops. (Or shoppes if your feeling old fashioned and British).  We spent Sunday evening on a tour and most of the day today exploring and didn't even scratch the surface of all there is to see and do. I can't imagine what it is going to be like visiting different areas and major cities like London and Paris. It's impossible to take it all in! The phrase "so much to do so little time" has become a constant mantra playing through my head.

The most iconic part of Brighton is probably its seaside and pier. The beach itself is rather narrow, a strip of rocks bordered by the ocean on one side, and restaurants and shops on the other, but the pier makes the area a definite highlight.

What pier is complete without a ferris wheel?



 


C'est moi!


Danielle and I.

I love these chairs! I keep picturing Zelda Fitzgerald reclining under a sun umbrella, pearls draped down her back, with a floppy sunhat over her brow.

All along the beach and in the rest of town, there are beautiful buildings and residential areas.
A little slot for letters. I am delighted by the even the slightest change in wordage. Apparently, I have started saying "pop over" and "lovely." I'll work on adding "cheers" and others as I go :)



We explored the different shopping areas in town, my favorite of which is The Lanes, because it's narrow alleys bustling with people are just so quintessentially European. 

Most shops were boutiques and pretty expensive, especially considering the conversion rate, but it was fun to browse. There were restaurants, a surprising number of fine jewelry shops, vintage clothing stores, little antique malls and other stores selling decor and paper goods; basically everything!

Rather Diagon Alley-esque, is it not?

Of course there were a fair number of little cafes and tea shops. I am in England after all!

We also happened upon a little farmers market and combination antique mall. Again, the little stalls with baskets of fruits and vegetables seemed so classically European.





The Royal Pavilion is another inescapable landmark, but I'll save that for later this month when I have a traditional English breakfast there. :)

After a day in town, with a final stop at the grocery store, we took the bus back and I headed up to my favorite spot on campus.
 Bliss.

1 comment:

  1. Just another AMAZING day in England Darling! Thanks for the newsy share and great photos! Especially loving the ones of my girl looking SO HAPPY...and of You and Danielle ...she looks like such a sweetie! YAY for new friends!!! Lots of Love and Blessings to you Puppet! :)

    ReplyDelete